Onto is a car subscription service that only offers electric vehicles as part of its subscription package. Only two years old, the company is driving its marketing campaign against the backdrop of recent plans for the UK government to bring forward the nationwide switch to electric vehicles by five years. Subscriptions can be taken for as little as a month, with a range that is rapidly expanding as more and more electric cars become available to suit all budgets. Home and Polar charging are both supported and included in the cost of subscription.
How it Works
As a reflection of the market it is operating in, Onto centres its registration process around your smartphone, which you’ll need to use their service.
- Register by uploading your driving license, proof of address and a selfie
- Onto will run DVLA checks as their terms include drivers having no more than 6 points on their license. You must also be over 25 and have had your license for 3 years.
- Cars can be delivered anywhere in the UK
- Customers use the Onto app to unlock, start and switch off their cars. No keys are required. You can also check remaining miles and charge level, and certain models will allow you to pre-heat the interior via the app
- To change, pause or cancel the subscription or car, just contact Onto and they will arrange it. Subscriptions are on a flexible basis, with a minimum of a month.
You can also designate two extra named drivers on your policy.
Costs and Fees
There is no administration fee or deposit required to use Onto. The costs quoted include insurance, breakdown cover, maintenance, insurance and charging. The options for the latter are twofold; 1) Use the charger and plug adapter provided at home, or 2) use a Polar Plus charging point for charging to be included in the cost of the subscription.
Vehicles come with 1000 miles per month as the standard contract, but you can purchase extra mileage packs. Delivery charges depend on your location, but Onto say that UK locations are covered. You can add a named driver for £9.99 per month, or up to 3 for a total of £14.99 per month.
If you get a speeding or parking ticket, Onto charge a £10 administration fee for the process of notifying you.
Brands and models
All the models on offer with Onto are electric.
- Renault Zoe ZE40 R110 / ZE50 Iconic R135 / ZE50 GT Line R135
- Peugeot e-208 GT Line
- Nissan Leaf Acenta
- BMW i3 120Ah
- DS 3 Crossback E-Tense Performance Line / Ultra Prestige
- Hyundai IONIQ
- Tesla Model 3 SR+ / L / Performance
- Jaguar I-Pace HSE EV400
Onto ask for a 7-day notice period before the end of a contract month, otherwise a charge will apply. Subscriptions can be paused and cancelled, and cars can be changed within this time frame.
What’s Special about Onto?
Onto operates in a similar way to its competitors, but it focuses on smartphone use for the registration process. A potential reason for this is that all the cars it offers are a) electric, and b) require access to the Onto smartphone app to unlock and drive.
Being 100% electric sets Onto apart from the majority of its competitors, and it also includes a free home charger adapter and cable, and a Polar Plus account which allows users to charge on the go, at any Polar Plus point, at no cost.
Aside from this, Onto subscription terms include insurance, which isn’t universally the case with its competitors. The mileage is quite limited though, with 1000 miles per month the standard limit, although you can purchase extra packs.
Onto offer an impressive array of electric vehicles to suit most budgets on the car subscription market. The opportunity to drive some of the top-end Teslas for £799 a month is eye-catching, and the 100% commitment to electric vehicles only sets Onto apart from their competition and ticks environmentally friendly boxes. The inclusion of free charging and the app-based unlocking represent windows into a future which is still around the corner, rather than present, for many. This is undoubtedly a selling point for Onto, who are likely to grow over the next few years.