Last update 2022-11-07 Reading time 2:56 min
Sixt+ is a subscription service that operates as part of the global car rental company, Sixt. The service is available throughout the US, using existing Sixt rental locations and pools of cars, rather than specific vehicles, to ensure constant, immediate availability. Customers have access to a varying range of vehicles from the Sixt fleet, with a minimum commitment of 30 days, and short extensions available. Anyone over 21 can use the service, and prices cover a wide range to ensure accessibility.
How it works
Sixt’s subscription service works the same way as most of its standard dealership-based competitors, but with a few extras:
- Complete the sign-up process, during which Sixt will check your driver record and credit. You must be over 21 with a good credit rating.
- Pay the joining fee and first month’s subscription up front. The fee includes insurance unless you inform them you would rather use your own, and you can pick from three levels. The minimum initial subscription is 30 days.
- Sixt+ offers flexible runtimes with only 30 days. It’s renewed automatically as long as the car is not returned.
- The car can be switched anytime, also it’s possible to pause the subscription anytime for up to 90 days e.g. in vacation times
- In addition, the subscription can be terminated at any time, simply by returning the vehicle to the Sixt station.
- The subscription is available in almost every state or major city. Due to the large network of over 2000 Sixt stations, a station is certainly always nearby and competent local advice is guaranteed.
- You can select from different available mileage packages, adapt them according to your current needs monthly and also add / remove extras such as additional driver.
- A small fee for the return of the vehicle is only applying for returns at another station than the pickup station.
- Unused mileage can be used via mileage vault in further months.
Cost and fees
Sixt+’s joining fee is currently $199, and they ask for a minimum subscription of 30 days. Prices start at $459 for a Kia Rio or similar Sedan. Their top range vehicles, such as the Range Rover Velar, are $1059 per month. This includes insurance, taxes, maintenance and roadside assistance. Cancelations before the agreed term will not entitle you to a refund, and excess mileage is charged per mile.
Sixt offer insurance terms in three tiers – Basic, Comfort, and Premium. While the basic package means you ar responsible for paying any damages to other cars, the Premium package covers large amounts of damage and injury, depending on the vehicle type. You can use your own insurance but must inform Sixt first.
The excess mileage fee varies per vehicle.
Brands and models
Sixt is a large rental company with fleets of cars that vary from site to site, so rather than offering specific cars, they offer groups of vehicles in ranges, based on size and spec. The sample range includes cars of all shapes and sizes:
Kia Rio, Toyota Yaris, Mini Countryman, VW Jetta, Toyota Camry, Toyota RAV4, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler Pacifica, and several of the Mercedes range.
Sixt+ subscriptions can be cancelled at any time, but as the subscription runs month to month, there is no financial benefit to be had by cancelling before the end of a 30-day period. However, you can return your vehicle at any time, either to the same branch or, by arrangement, to another location. A fee is sometimes payable in this instance.
What’s special about Sixt+?
Sixt+’s subscription allows users to choose from a wide range of vehicles, all of which are either new or only a year old. As the service comes under the Sixt name, it is well known and therefore provides that extra layer of trust. Sixt have a fleet that includes many budget vehicles and as a result, they can provide affordability to lots of people.
However, the main draw for customers is accessibility in terms of location. As Sixt have offices across the States, they can reach many more customers than smaller firms and the chance to pick up and return at different locations offers an extra layer of convenience.
Sixt+ is a subscription offering that operates under the global Sixt name. Rather than subscription tiers, the service offers a range of indicative vehicles with the understanding that the actual model may vary from location to location. While you can’t flip vehicle, you can renew month to month, effectively meaning that you will be able to change your ride once every 30 days. But as with its major competitors with the backing of global firms, it’s the range of choice and the feeling of security that customers often get from using a big, well-known name, that will represent the main reason to use Sixt+.