Last update 2021-11-16 Reading time 2:20 min
About Porsche Drive
Porsche Drive is a Porsche-run subscription service that allows customers access to the most recent models in the Porsche fleet. There are several price brackets depending on the length of commitment you sign up to, with the service being currently available in Atlanta, Houston and Phoenix, and in California in Irvine, Los Angeles, Monterey, San Diego, San Francisco and San Jose and expansion planned across the States for 2022. The service has recently added the electric Taycan to its fleet of available vehicles.
As befits the reputation of the brand, Porsche Drive is designed to be a premium subscription service, with high-spec vehicles, a private concierge and no flip limits if you choose the multi-vehicle subscription and stay within the mileage limits. While the maximum mileage is quite high compared with its competitors, there is a strict rate for excess mileage. You must be over 21 and have a clean driving record to qualify, as well as passing Porsche Drive’s credit check.
How it works
Porsche Drive customers must be in Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix, Irvine, Los Angeles, Monterey, San Diego, San Francisco, or San Jose and over the age of 21. You must have a clean driver record to qualify.
- Complete the sign-up and application process. Porsche Drive will then perform the standard driver and credit checks.
- Choose from the package options and pick a vehicle or ask the Porsche representative to pick for you based on your needs.
- Allow some time for the first delivery, as the concierge will want to take you through paperwork. This isn’t necessary for subsequent subscriptions.
- You can keep the car as long as you like, although Porsche may recall after a few months for standard checks and valeting and provide another similar vehicle.
- To flip during a month, contact your concierge. More notice is better, with the shortest time being 24 hours, and there is no limit to the amount of times you can flip if you are subscribed to the multi-vehicle pricing tier.
Cost and fees
Porsche Drive take a $595 non-refundable joining fee (unless you choose the single vehicle, three-month term, in which case this is waived) and the first month’s subscription up front. Customers have several choices:
- Single (1 and 3-month) Subscriptions: Monthly fee from $1500 to $2600 dependent on model chosen
- Multi-Vehicle Subscription: $2100 or $3100 per month
- Porsche Drive Rental: 1-3 days or 4+ days, from $245 to $395 per day
Taycan: $3250 per month / $2500 for the rear wheel drive option
The excess mileage charge is $1 per mile and there is a $1 million liability insurance policy in place, with $1000 deductible for drivers. You may drive 1500 miles a month on a single vehicle subscription, and 2000 miles a month on a multi-vehicle subscription.
Brands and models
The current vehicles available for Porsche Drive and Porsche Drive Rental are:
718 Cayman GT4, 718 Boxster, Cayenne, Panamera, 911, Macan, and the new electric Taycan. With the Taycan, a home charger is provided or you can use Electrify America, ChargePoint, and EVgo.
The Porsche subscription is month to month for the multi-vehicle and for the stated period for other subscriptions and the rental service.
What’s special about Porsche Drive?
The obvious: all the cars are Porsches. Often considered the ultimate in driving experience, the access to a range of new models and the combined concierge service will attract high-end customers who want to travel in style.
All cars are from the latest range and come fully detailed, with high mileage limits and unlimited flips, meaning that for the enthusiast, Porsche Drive is possibly the most premium subscription service available in the US.
Now that there is also an all-electric option in the Taycan sports sedan too, the environmentally friendly option is also there for subscribers.
Porsche Drive offer a range of luxury vehicles to the high-end market, with the most expensive subscription tier at $3250 per month for the electric Taycan. For those who can afford it though, this is the height of subscription luxury, with the ability to rent a 911 a real eye-catching draw.
Unlimited flipping is an extra bonus for multi-vehicle subscribers. But beware: the $1 per mile cost for exceeding the contracted 2000 miles per month is certainly punitive. Outside of that though, the joining fee, insurance coverage and service is in line with other premium subscription companies that are tied to large car firms – BMW and Audi, for example.