Flexdrive is a car subscription company that works by sourcing cars near customers’ locations from dealerships. This results in a large fleet, with price brackets to suit most budgets. They currently operate in Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Minnesota, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island Tennessee, Texas and Virginia. They offer low minimum commitments, with the ability to pause and restart a subscription with no penalties. While there are standard driver checks, they don’t perform credit checks, providing an extra layer of accessibility for lower income clients.
How it Works
Flexdrive’s service works through an app, with subscriptions in partnership with local dealerships.
- Download the app, turn on location sharing and start browsing vehicles by proximity, brand and price
- Verify your account by going through the necessary driver and ID checks. Flexdrive don’t perform credit checks, so verification only takes a few minutes
- Choose a subscription length and partner dealer
- Arrange to pick up your car
- Pause, upgrade, flip, extend or downgrade or cancel at the end of your term. Arrange to drop the vehicle off at the relevant partner dealer
Cost and Fees
The cheapest subscription is $400 per month, which includes insurance, roadside assistance, taxes and maintenance. From there, subscription costs go up incrementally to over $1000 per month for premium vehicles. Rather than an initial joining fee, Flexdrive charge a refundable security deposit, which varies on location, car and initial subscription length. Mileage limits and resulting excess charges vary by state and dealership and state taxes are dependent on location.
There are no charges for pausing and restarting, and while cancelation doesn’t incur any extra charges, Flexdrive don’t prorate so you will have to pay the remainder of the term.
Brands & Models
Flexdrive have 7 different subscription tiers, each of which has several cars to choose from, including:
- $400+ Nissan Leaf, Mini Cooper, Toyota Yaris
- $500+ Honda Fit, Dodge Avenger, Ford Fiesta SE
- $600+ Chevrolet Cruze, Kia Soul, Fiat 500x
- $700+ Nissan Rogue, Volkswagen Golf TSI, Mitsubishi Outlander
- $800+ Toyota RAV4, Nissan Frontier, Honda Accord EX L
- $900 Honda CR-V, Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro
- $1000+ Audi A3 Premium, Dodge Challenger SXT, Jaguar XF Sport
The minimum subscription is 7 days, but you can return your car at any time. However, you will be charged for the full term as Flexdrive don’t prorate.
What’s Special about Flexdrive?
Flexdrive has a large range of vehicles to suit most budgets, as well as a minimum subscription term of 7 days. However, customers can keep vehicles for longer simply by extending or choosing a longer initial term.
The main draw for many potential customers is that the company don’t perform credit checks, instead taking a refundable security deposit and first subscription payment in advance. In addition, Flexdrive’s model of using partner dealers means that they achieve good coverage across 12 states and will likely be expanding that as the company grows.
Flexdrive provide a low minimum term for drivers who either need an extended rental period, or who like to flip vehicles regularly. By partnering with dealerships, they are able to offer a comprehensive list of vehicles, with multiple pricing options and no joining fee. Their terms include insurance and they offer subscription pauses for free. In addition, the least costly subscriptions come in at the lower end of the market, making them accessible for the majority of the potential market.
On the negative side, at present, there is no option to have multiple drivers on the same vehicle. It also isn’t possible to use Flexdrive for any commercial purposes, including for rideshare work.