Motopool is a subscription service available to customers in the Brisbane area. With a full concierge system based in Salisbury, customers can choose from three different plans which offer different levels of mileage and also a free joining fee for premium plan subscribers. While the minimum term is 3 months, Motopool are focused on incentivising customers to join for longer, and there is a rewards programme called Motoperks that offers various discounts and perks to people who extend their contracts.
How it works
Motopool doesn’t currently operate on an app like the majority of its competitors, but the website sign-up has similar functionality.
- Join online and complete the driver’s license and credit check
- Choose a plan from Starter, Value and Premium. If you are a business customer, there is an entirely different section with tailormade business options
- Choose a vehicle, subscription length and pick-up date
- Attend the Salisbury office for a meeting with your concierge
- Extend, cancel or start a new plan with a new vehicle after the initial 3-month term
The terms and conditions are as follows:
- Over 21s only
- You must have held a driver’s license for a year
- You must hold a valid Australian (P2 and above) or equivalent international driver’s license
- You have no history or suspensions or cancellations of any driver’s license within the last 5 years
- You have not been bankrupt at any point in the last 7 years
You must also provide Motopool with documentation to approve your membership, including 100 points of ID.
Costs and fees
Motopool subscribers pay a $250 joining fee, chargeable at the time of the first subscription payment. Then, the monthly cost depends on the subscription plan:
- Starter Plan: 250km per week, from $154 per week
- Value Plan: 500km per week, from $194 per week
- Premium Plan: 750km per week, from $234 per week, no joining fee and a 2-month minimum term instead of 3.
The excess for insurance is $3500, although customers can reduce this to $1000 for an extra weekly fee of $20.
Brands and models
Motopool currently have 30 vehicles on offer across their three plans, with a mix of new and old models, including:
- 2020 MG MG3
- 2016 Toyota Yaris
- 2020 Kia Cerato
- 2017 Mada 3
- 2018 Mitsubishi ASX
- 2021 Kia Sportage
- 2021 Toyota Hilux
Prices range from $154 a week for a 2016 Toyota Yaris on the starter plan, to $399 per week for the electric MG ZS EV (2021).
After customers have completed the initial 3-month contract, they can cancel future plans with 21 days’ notice.
What’s Special about Motopool?
Motopool offer three tiers of subscription, which allow customers an element of customisation in terms of mileage and whether or not they pay the joining fee. But the main point of difference with Motopool is the service they offer to businesses, focusing on start-ups and established companies alike, and offering fleet services including pick-ups and executive vehicles. The range available is failr comprehensive, focusing more on affordability than luxury vehicles.
Motopool’s tiered subscription model is straightforward and aims to cater to heavier users as well as occasional drivers. The upfront fee is on the higher side and at $3500, the insurance excess will put a lot of people off. The business service is comprehensive and full of options and customisation, and the range of vehicles on both sides covers most usage types other than convertibles and sports cars. The service isn’t yet app-based and is based only in the Brisbane area, so there is room for expansion in the future.